Wednesday 7 December 2016

Joe Motocross Hits The Spot

We had no idea that Snoopy/Joe Motocross would strike such a chord with people, but we've had loads of great feedback. One of my favourite responses is from Bob Metz, in Minnesota.

It's been a while. After seeing Snoopy I just had to send a pic. Shortly after stuffing my 750 Triumph Trackmaster through the fence my daughter colored this picture! It was 1978. It has hung on the wall of my shop since. 
Until later, John Metz

Sideburn 27 includes a feature written by Russ Gater of clothing brand TSPTR. Russ discusses the impact of Peanuts on the morale of US troops in Vietnam, on equal rights for women and on the popularisation of motocross and minibike racing across the US. It's fascinating.

Reader Harley R, in the Isle of Man, loved the feature and wrote this...

Thanks Guys, that really was a great read! 

I found the Charlie Brown/ Joe Motocross piece particularly interesting as Peanuts was an integral part of my formative years and its increasing political awareness mirrored my own first steps into the big, bad world. I was too young to appreciate all the Vietnam/ WW1 parallels (living in the wrong country probably didn’t help) but those increasingly cynical/ surreal cartoons, and my parents’ increasing dislike for what had once been a “fun” daily strip, made a huge impact on me. Nearly fifty years later I can still remember every word from those comics – I just have to see the first frame and my memory fills in the rest. 
Thanks again. Harley

See for yourself what all the fuss is about BUY SIDEBURN 27. G

No comments: